28 Feb 2016

No, You Can't Be My Writing Muse

Hey, you...

It's been a long time since I wrote to you. I won't ask if you do miss me. Is it important? We've been getting use to all this distance that much, haven't we?

Lately, I don't write much. Weird, isn't it? Jakarta only means one thing: time consuming routines. Here in this city, time seems to move so fast, yet it doesn't provide space for us to, at least, enjoy all of its moves with dancing. No, we are running in that moves.

Sad, isn't it?

But, still, I choose to be happy. And, anytime I could, I will stop running and starting to walk. Like this time, when I'm writing you this letter.



***
There was a bestseller writer talking about writing muse on twitter some days ago. I read one of her books, but that's not my cup of tea. Sometimes I wonder why some books could amaze many people but not others. About this, my bestfriend knows the answer: habent sua fata libelli - each book has its own destiny. Maybe her books aren't destined for me.

Ok, I know you're not into writing. I am. But please, bear with me, I just found that her sayings about writing muse are interesting. Then, I promise, after this we can talk about football again.

So, here is the thing: She says that every writer has his/her writing muse.

Muse, this word came from Greek traditions. That's how people call the goddess of inspirations. Ah, I know you love Greek mythology. Remember when we walked from the town center last year, talking about gods and goddesses, only because we found Athena in one pound coin? Well, these muses are goddesses like Athena, Aprodhite, Helen or Hera. There are nine of them, help those who work on arts or literature or science by giving them inspirations.

Now the word 'muse' refers to anything or anyone that brings inspirations.

You might start to wonder why this muse things matter. It's because I started to think who or what my writing muse is. Some people indeed write so much when they are falling in love, missing someone, or having their heart broken. As for me, falling in love and missing you always brings me words to write. So, are you my writing muse?

The answer is as clear as the summer sky.

But, then, I pondered out everything. If you are my writing muse, my only writing muse, I am in a dangerous situation. I know I'm not a professional writer, I haven't published any book whatsoever, but, still, I write. And I  want to write about anything. About rain and its petrichor. About grass and dandelions. About cities I've visited and countries I dream about. About public transportations and random people. About new published books and faraway bookstores. About old letters and fairytales. About anything. You may name it.

So, if having you as my writing muse means I can only write about you, for you and because of you, can I be called a writer?

I want to write with or without you.

No, you can't be my writing muse. I even prefer not to have writing muse at all.

I know I use to write about you. But I train myself not to. All in all, I think I want you to know this, everytime I don't write about you, for you and because of you, it doesn't change anything. You're still in my mind that much. You're still in my heart that much. You're still you and I'm still I.

I only can promise you this: your name is going to be in the dedication page of my soon to be published book. Isn't it exciting enough? Or do you want to use pseudonim? You can choose any name if you want^^

And, you know what, I just remember that muse is the name of your favourite band. I remember how sad you were when you had no chance to go to their concert last year.


***

I know I'm not your muse either. I'm happy for that. Let yourself become your own muse, not others. And I know you'll be alright, with or without me. Or, maybe, you can let football become your muse. Like what happens this year, nothing is more inspirational that Leicester City, isn't it?. The Foxes gains three more points this weekend. Do you remember them last year? Almost going back to the second division. You surely can let things like these become your muse.

By the way, in case you're wondering if I'm serious about kicking you out of my writings. No, I won't. Maybe once in a while I still will write about you.

Honestly, I like the idea of you wait for your appearance on my writings.

I hope you are forever happy. I hope you get all the inspirations you need, with or without muse.





No comments:

Post a Comment